Just finished up today at Conquest today and things went pretty well, all my joking about "submarining" after Bob's Para's slaughtered me...but I ended up picking up;
After much "list frothing" I ran 6th Fallschirmjager from Market Garden as seen here with the addition of two of Pooch's Jagdpanthers. I did change the list a little bit to have two 7 stand FJ platoons and a 7 stand FJ Pioneer platoon (with 2 Flamethrowers) and a full HMG platoon. It was quite a good choice in the end.
I didn't take my camara alas, so in brief;
- 1st game was vs's Bob's British Paras in a Free Fall on the Bocage Table...went down 1-6 as I sort of faffed about and didn't plan my attack (or defence) well. Bob played a perfect game and let me hang myself out to dry. Bob's a great man to play too :)
- 2nd game was vs Simon's British Rifles (with breaching group) in a Fighting Withdrawal...at night! Simon hadn't played Fighting Withdrawal before and I hadn't fought at night...it was interesting and bloody. I managed to hold out in the end with a Jagdpanther and one platoon holding out for just long enough (the full 8 turns) wining it 4-3. Simon should have won and some unlucky unpinning rolls cost him dear.
- 3rd game was vs Adam's Neisei in the City with Not One Step Back. I had played plenty of cityfighting but it was Adams first fight in the bloody mess that is Urban warfare. It takes a bit to get used to how the room/ building interaction works and how tough infantry are. The Arty/Air got my Jagdpanthers in the end but I ground through his flank to take it 5-2. As with the game vs Simon the HMG's did good work suppressing the enemy infantry.
- 4th game (today's first game) was vs Jeff's British Rifles (with Croc's and Wasps!) on Craig's Awesome Cassino Table in a No Retreat...and again at night!. I managed to hold the hordes off and keep most of the flamethrowing vehicles away (no thanks to the Jagdpanthers who continued there suck form). Jeff failed some critical unpinning checks again and I managed a 6-1 win.
- 5th and final game was vs Jim's Panzergrenadiers in Dust Up. We both had never played this mission before and it was quite interesting. We each set up a strong defensive fort in our quarters and once it was obvious he wouldn't come to me (which would have been suicide) I sent a platoon with Vondy off over a river and towards his edge and my incoming reserves. Jim had two Tiger I's (ROF3) waiting for my flanking Jagdpanthers and we traded fire with the Jagd's coming off best but losing one in the process. My flanking force got pinned down but the platoon on the trek got in and grabbed the objective after a bitter fight. This left my initial defence force weak and Jim's flank force almost pushed through and grabbed MY objective. In the last turn my PaK's ran away so 5-2
Estella picked up a well deserved Best Sports with Pooch and Craig 1st equal, but Craig landing 1stPlace (for like the 10th time :)) as he defeated Pooch in their game.
Thanks heaps to Stephen S for running it and Comic's Compulsion for Hosting the event.