Its been a while since the last update as its been "hard" to do anything really at the moment. I'm sure I'm not alone in Christchurch in that I seem to be tired all the time!
I have managed to get some games in with Jamie though, with my Romans losing to his "Caledonians", My Isengard crushing his Dunlendings and the Ancient Germans crushing (twice!) HIS New Romans
Due to Craig converting us to his basing system I had based most of my Germans on standard Impetus 12cm * 6cm bases so ended up with a big bruise on my palm from digging the models out of the Liquid Nails I had based them with. It was worth it though as the two games Jamie and I played with the Germans vs his Romans were much better as we had more room to manoeuvre and tended to avoid the traffic jams we got with full sized bases.
I took the opportunity of the re base to make FL "large unit" sized bases of 8cm frontage by 12cm depth. I then arraigned the models in the classic "boars head" wedge like formation on this big base. It's a tad unwieldy and does have the limitation that when the rear "base" dies you still have the massive footprint but I think the aesthetics make up for it. I also save a bucket load of models as I end up with 10 models to a large warband now whereas previously it was 15!
So with the new basing system I have managed to stretch my two boxes of Infantry and one box of Cavalry out to a full 300pts Impetus army consisting off;
- 3 CM German Cavalry Units with "Hundreds" (skirmishing javelin men)
- 3 FL Elite Cherusci Large Warbands
- 2 FL Cherusci Large Warbands
- 2 FL Macemen Warbands (Impetus 5!)
- 4 S Javelin Men
Got these undercoated today. Let the painting Commence!